our Pittsburgh-roots were planted in 1895 and continue to flourish today
The first Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth arrived in Pittsburgh in 1895 and began teaching in the Strip District area. In 1927, Mt. Nazareth Center was built on a 30-acre pastoral hilltop setting in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. The building was large enough to house administrative offices, become a residence for many Sisters, and include Mt. Nazareth Academy, a high school for girls. The school was open from 1927-1971, but the closing of the Academy did not mean the end of ministry at Mt. Nazareth.
Holy Family Manor began as the retirement home for the Sisters in October, 1966. In 2000, discussion began as to how best to use the building because the space had become underutilized. In 2005, Holy Family Manor Personal Care Home opened its doors further as a licensed facility for anyone who needed a little more care than they could receive in their homes. Five years later, the process began to license an additional 20 rooms.
Mt. Nazareth Learning Center opened its doors in September 1971 to offer educational and childcare services to pre-school children. The program continued to expand over the years to include infants through pre-school and now serves more than 180 children in that age group. Keystone STARS has certified MNLC as a center of high standards for families of young children.
Nazareth Housing Services started with a dream that Sister Cynthia Meyer had in 1993 to make ideal home ownership achievable for low income families. Thus, a ministry began that has expanded to educate potential home buyers, assist those who experience the pain of possible foreclosures, and help more vulnerable seniors to be able to age in place through assistance with home repairs.
Today, The Community at Holy Family Manor, Inc. is the corporation that the Sisters have created as one means to continue their mission to families. Through this organization, which is now the umbrella structure for the three programs above, the ministry of caring continues on the Mt. Nazareth Center campus and beyond.